Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Unforced

My blog is titled "The Rhythms of Grace."  A few weeks ago listening to a sermon, our speaker shared Matthew 11:38 only in the Message.  Here's what it says -

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

It definitely caught my eye because of the "rhythms of grace."  But then I was drawn to the word "unforced".  Unforced rhythms of grace.  What a beautiful and perfect way to define relationship with Jesus.

Unforced
         Free flowing
                     Chosen
                              Not demanded and
                                        Not taken against someone's will 
                                                       Engaged in with delight

I think a lot of people see God as a tyrant, as someone who dictates and demands His own way.  But this verse speaks of such a different reality - an invitation of rest, a relationship that produces life, walking together, learning from the Master, keeping company with Him, flowing in grace, feeling the rhythm of God's heart.

This is beautiful and special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment